UNSUNG HERO AWARD SUBMISSIONS ALSO OPEN
The 2016 edition of the Canadian Folk Music Awards weekend happens in Toronto on December 2 and 3, 2016.
Submissions are now open for the 12th edition of the Canadian Folk Music Awards (CFMA). Canadian artists and groups whose albums were released in Canada between June 15, 2015 to June 14, 2016 are eligible.
Established by Canada’s burgeoning and internationally-recognized folk music community, the awards currently boast 20 categories. Five nominees are chosen for each category. A three stage jury process by 100 jurors located across Canada representing all official provinces, territories and languages determine the official winners in each category. Complete eligibility requirements are listed here: http://folkawards.ca/eligibility/
The earlybird submission deadline is April 30, 2016. The final deadline is June 30, 2016. Submit here: http://folkawards.ca/eligibility/online-submission/
Submissions are also open for the Unsung Hero award. This annual legacy category award recognizes the exceptional contribution of an individual, group, or organization to any aspect of the Canadian Folk music scene. Nominees must be perceived as an “unsung hero”; someone who has received little in the way of national and/or public recognition for their accomplishments.
Unsung Hero submissions are also via online submission form and must include:
- Name, mailing address, phone number, e-mail of the individual(s) submitting the application
- Name, mailing address, phone number, e-mail, website (if applicable) of the nominee
- A list of all Awards received by the nominee with respect to their contribution to the Canadian folk music scene (performance, promotion, presentation, etc.)
- A letter from the nominator (max 500 words) explaining the candidate’s involvement in, and impact upon, the Canadian folk music scene
- Three letters supporting the nomination from other individuals or organizations (please do not submit more than 3 letters)
- A biography (max 250 words) and a high-resolution (300 dpi) photo of the nominee
There is no entry fee for this award category. All submissions must be submitted via online submission form by June 30, 2016. The Unsung Hero category is judged by the board of the Canadian Folk Music Awards. Complete details are online at http://folkawards.ca/eligibility/unsung-hero-award/
The 12th edition of the CFMA weekend takes place December 2 and 3rd, 2016 in Toronto, Ontario and includes concerts from many of the nominees. The gala awards event, featuring live performances from some of the best of Canada’s folk community, happens at the Isabel Bader Theatre on December 3, 2016.