Deadline and fees
EARLY BIRD DEADLINE : Until Saturday April 30th, 2016, the fee for each submission is $60. After April 30, 2016, the first submission is $70, with a fee of $60 for each additional submission.
FINAL DEADLINE : All submission details and payments must be received through our website no later than 5:00 pm EST, Thursday, June 30, 2016. Albums must have been uploaded and received by our office no later than that date.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE CFMA IS ACCEPTING DIGITAL SUBMISSIONS ONLY. WE WILL NO LONGER ACCEPT CDs.
Submissions for all categories must supply the following material and meet the following criteria:
- One photo of the artist/group (high-resolution digital photo uploaded via the online submission form
- One sample MP3 audio file (a complete track) to be submitted online
- Artist bio (100 word limit, to be uploaded via your online submission form)
- If you are able to provide bios in both languages it would be very much appreciated: we are a volunteer-run organization, and our translators thank you in advance!
- Proof of CD manufacturing and release date. Manufacturing invoices or a letter from the artist/group record label or distributor are acceptable (submissions to Young Performer of the Year category are exempt). Scans of these documents must be submitted online
- ZIP file containing:
- one MP3 file encoded at 256kbps for each track on your album
- a PDF of the album artwork (insert booklet if applicable, digipak or other case, etc.)
- we will contact you directly with an upload link and further directions
The following criteria may be used as a guideline by submitting artists. Questions regarding eligibility should be sent to email@example.com.
The terms Traditional Folk Music , Contemporary Folk Music and World Music are defined as follows:
Traditional Folk Music : This genre consists of music from instrumental and song traditions that are specific to a cultural or ethnic group. It is generally acknowledged that the repertoire and stylistic elements of ethnically based traditional music have been shaped through oral transmission, a process that can take place over a period of years. While a great deal of traditional repertoire consists of older songs and tunes, our definition does not exclude recent compositions which come to artists through the oral tradition, or which model themselves on specific traditional musical structures (e.g., recently composed jigs and reels). Submissions to any category described as traditional must show musical links (through repertoire and/or performance style) to a specific ethnically or culturally based tradition (e.g., Irish, French, Scottish, Bluegrass, Klezmer, Aboriginal, Blues, tradition-based World music, etc.).
Contemporary Folk Music : This genre consists of recently composed vocal or instrumental music influenced by folk music styles, repertoire and musical structures. It has often, but not always, been composed by the submitting artist.
World Music : The term world music in Canada suggests that artists within this genre come from “world cultures” separate and apart from the dominant ethnicities within Canada, such as the English, French and indigenous cultures. World music is also recognized as a genre that fuses music from different ethnic or stylistic sources. All submissions to the world music categories must demonstrate a “world perspective” and come from recent immigrant cultures (eg. Asian, African, Caribbean, South American, South Pacific, etc.) or from artists that create music from a variety of cultural sources and / or styles.
WORLD MUSIC CATEGORIES : World artists are not limited to the World Artist categories. They may submit to all categories for which they are eligible (e.g., all traditional and contemporary categories, instrumentalist of the year, etc.).
SONGWRITER CATEGORIES : Artists may submit a recording to only one of the three song-writing categories. In the case of recordings with tracks written in multiple languages, the artist must select the category that best represents the recording.
Fees are payable by PayPal, though you do not need to have a PayPal account. You will be directed to make a payment for your submission after completing your submission form.