The deadline to apply as a juror for the 2022 CFMAs has now passed. If you are interested in being considered for selection as a CFMA juror in the future, and have a background in music adjudicating or are in the industry as an artist / producer / distributor, etc., sign up for our mailing list to be informed for our next call for jurors!
For a quick overview of the CFMA submissions eligibility please visit folkawards.ca/eligibility.
For a list of all 19 CFMA categories: folkawards.ca/eligibility/criteria/.
- All submissions are digital.
- We may require 95 – 115 Jurors overall (5-10 Jurors per Category, depending on submission numbers).
- Categories which exceed more than 60 submissions are generally split between two juror pools (i.e. 5 jurors in each set).
- Jurors will be asked if they wish to be assigned to more than one category.
- Unless necessary, we try not to select jurors for the same categories two years in a row.
- We try to incorporate new jurors each year.
- In choosing jurors, we attempt to respect our mandate as a national entity, i.e. by having representation from all geographical regions of Canada.
- Some categories have larger pools of jurors from which to choose, making the choice between excellent jurors even harder. In that regard, we may not need everyone who signs up to be a part of the jury process. All this to say that many highly-qualified Jurors, both new and returning, may not be selected this year.
- As a thank you for their participation, Jurors are offered one comp ticket to the Awards Ceremony evenings (scheduled in Charlottetown, P.E.I. April 1-3, 2022); a discounted hotel rate rate for the weekend; and their name is listed in the event program.
Conflict of Interest
Tentatively selected jurors are sent a list of submissions for their category/ies. If a prospective juror or their immediate family are involved with any of the submitted recordings as a musician, songwriter, agent, producer, manager, etc. they must declare this. If you know now that you have a conflict with any artist/submission, avoid choosing those categories in the Juror registration form. This will NOT preclude you from being selected to judge a category for which you have no conflict.
2022 Juror Timelines
Note that dates are subject to change.
- [July 7, 2021]: Deadline for Juror Registration Form submission.
- [late July / early August 2021]: Tentatively selected Jurors will be requested to review the submission list in their category and declare if they have any conflict(s) of interest. Should any tentatively selected Juror have a conflict, or not be able to juror for any other reason, a replacement juror will be notified. We will try and re-assign any selected Jurors who declare a conflict in any category, as needs arise.
- [early August, 2021]: Selected jurors will be notified concerning login information to access and begin assessing the submissions in their category.
- [September 10, 2021]: Round 1 voting deadline to determine nominees in each category.
- [early to mid October, 2021]: Round 2 voting to determine the recipients in each category.
Thank you in advance for considering lending your expertise to this extremely important process. The Canadian Folk Music Scene is strengthened by the contribution of your time and expertise.
If you have any questions, please contact the CFMA office at firstname.lastname@example.org